Monday, May 11, 2009

"The pain won't last LONG!"

Today’s after school, the 16th of December was going to bring thrill into a dull and boring school day. Dreaming about my best friend’s birthday treat, even a monotonous Social Studies class was fun. The bell rang; I jumped out of my seat and headed towards the canteen, our group was going to meet there. Rushing, excitement of the day ahead pumping through my body, my legs buckled. Crashing face down, I felt pain sear through my body as my nose crunched on the hard unforgiving concrete.

Trying to pull myself together, I was glad to see no one surrounding me asking, “Are you okay?” That is the most embarrassing thing to face, at least in my opinion. I pulled my heavy bag from the ground and was just preparing to walk towards the canteen that I came to a sudden halt - I saw a huge wet red blob on the plain gray concrete, right where my nose had crashed. I felt goose bumps appear from the top of my shoulders all the way to my toes. A slow but steady shiver went down my spine as I sensed that something was wrong. A warm fluid was trickling down my nose, to my chin and then into my uniform. I slowly rolled my eyes down to my shirt – it was already wet and red. I had to believe after all these evidences that I was bleeding awfully. I dashed towards the bathroom. I quickly rinsed off the dirt form the cut and washed away all the blood from my face. But the blood wouldn’t stop. I gaped in the mirror in horror. My face was as pale as a chalk with a mini waterfall of fresh blood oozing down my nose. In such a horrifying condition, I had to get home. That was the main priority. I had 3 minutes left to catch the bus.

Managing to get on the bus, it took me forever to find a decent seat. Sitting down, I was totally aghast that as soon as I would reach home, I will be taken to the hospital for a Tetanus INJECTION! I was not scared of lizards sticking to walls, spiders building their webs or even cockroaches roaming in kitchens. My biggest fear was getting an injection. Preoccupied about all the horrors that I would have to face today, my stop arrived. I ran upstairs to my room, my hand covering my nose and my bag covering my shirt.
“What’s wrong?” my mom asked.
“Nothing, just a bad sneeze,” was my fake reply.
I thought that I lied quite convincingly. I shut the door and looked into the mirror. I looked no better than a ghost.
“Ahhhhh!!!!!” my mom screamed.
She had seen my face and was shocked, maybe a bit scared. Dragging me downstairs, she asked a thousand questions, “HOW….WHEN…WHY...”
She applied an antiseptic lotion on my cut. “Ouch!!!!” was my painful response.

As soon as my dad came from work, I was driven to the hospital at the speed of light. I was rushed to the doctor. To my absolute horror, I was attended to as soon as we reached. He examined the cut for some time, made some notes and arrived at the conclusion that I needed a Tetanus injection! I wasn’t at all astonished; after all I had reached that conclusion 3 hours ago. Alas! No one would listen to my fears. As my dad says, “If the doctor says so, it has to be done.” I restrained from shouting during the complete process of me seeing the doctor pierce the injection into my upper left arm. I had achieved a whole new feat! This was the first time I hadn’t shouted while I was getting an injection. I stumbled across the hospital floors into the back seat of our car realizing that it was over. I had faced it; I do not need to be scared anymore.
“It is fine; the pain won’t last long,” were the sweet consoling words from my mom. I tried to believe in them. But I knew that the pain would last extremely LONG before it would be over. I rested my arm on my lap. It wasn’t that bad. I slowly opened the door of the car and attempted to get out. But I couldn’t, I couldn’t lift my left arm form my lap! It was swollen and a searing pain shot every time I tried to move it even a centimeter! The pain had started...it would last very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment